Shankarrao Mohite Mahavidyalya, Akluj is started by Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, Akluj in July 1967. Initially the College was started with 148 students by sharing the building of Sadashivrao Mane Vidyalaya, Akluj. The College was shifted to the present campus in 1982 in its own specious building. The College was permanently affiliated to Shivaji University, Kolhapur. After the establishment of the Solapur University in Aug 2004, the college is transferred to Solapur University, Solapur with its permanent status of affiliation. The college is included under 2 (f) and 12(B) of UGC Act 1956. The College is accredited with B+ grade in 2004 and is also reaccredited with B grade in 2012 by NAAC, Bangalore.
It is a multifaculty college with more than 5000 students. The college offers the programmes right from XIth to graduation in Arts, Commerce and Science and post graduation in Science and Arts. The College is also having recognized Research Centers for Ph.D. in Electronics, Physics, Botany, Zoology, Economics, History, Geography and English.
· XI & XII (Arts)
· XI & XII (Science)
· XI & XII (Commerce)
· XI & XII (Vocational Courses)
· Arts - B. A. -Marathi, Hindi, English, History,
Economics & Geography
· Commerce - B. Com.
· Science - B.Sc. - Zoology, Botany, Physics,
Electronics, Chemistry & Mathematics
· M. A. - English, Hindi & History
· M. Sc. - Electronics & Agrochemicals and Pest
Ph. D –
· Arts - Economics, History, Geography and English
· Science - Electronics, Physics, Botany and Zoology
The college is a reputed educational institution, which is known for producing outstanding students who take on different careers, as per their academic merit successfully in the society.
The college also runs following four need based Higher Secondary Vocational Courses at +2 level 1. Electronics Technology 2. Animal Husbandry and Dairy Technology 3. Crop Science 4. Electrical Technology. The College also runs three job oriented Add on courses such as Insurance, Travel & Tourism & Repair & Maintenance & Electronic appliances at certificate, diploma & advance diploma level. In addition to these courses various Departments of the College also run 13 different Certificates Courses.
The college has separate library building in which there are separate Stack Section, Circulation, Reference, Periodical, Store Room, Internet and reading rooms for boys and girls and also staff. There are total 82202 books including 1258 reference books, 4823 SET/NET, CET/NEET/JEE, Competitive Examination books and 152 research journals available in the library. Internet facility is also available on 36 computers in the Network Resource Centre of the Library.
The college has separate boys’ hostel having intake capacity of 24 and ladies’ hostel having intake capacity 240.
The college has rich tradition of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities such as NSS, NCC, Sports and Cultural Activities, which play an important role in the overall personality development of the students.
The NCC unit of the college has the honor to win General Championship of 38 Maharashtra Bn. for many times. Eighteen students are selected for various (Chief Minister Sahara, NCC D.G. Sham Benegal) scholarships and 28 candidates are selected for RD parade held at New Delhi.
Moreover, in the field of Sports, the college won more than 40 general championships in different sports events organized at University level.
The college has separate well equipped Gymkhana, huge play ground with 400 meter track open gym & separate Indoor stadium. We have received the financial assistance from HRD Ministry, Govt. of India for gym equipments and from UGC for Indoor stadium & sports equipments.
The faculty of the college works hard for the promotion of cultural activities. College won General Championship in Solapur University Youth Festival (2010).
The Career Guidance Center providing necessary information and guidance to the students for Competitive Exams & Career Guidance as and when required.
Teaching staff of the college is highly qualified. Most of the staff is either M. Phil or Ph.D. and NET/SET, remaining teachers are doing research. Some of them have completed minor and major research projects with the financial assistance of UGC. We have organized University, State, national level conferences, seminars and workshops.
The students are also reciprocating by their high achievements in academic performance. A large number of students are getting excellent placements in different parts of the country & abroad as well.
The college has Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University study centre for the poor and needy students who wish to complete their education through distance mode. The centre runs B.A. & B.Com. degree level courses.
Some Salient features of the college
* Permanently affiliated to P.A.H. Solapur University, Solapur
* Accredited by NAAC with B+ Grade (2004)
* Re-accredited NAAC with B Grade (2012)
* Qualified & Experienced Teaching Staff
* Excellent Academic Results & Healthy Academic Environment
* Well Equipped Laboratories
* Computerized Rich Library, Night Reading Room, Book Bank Scheme
* Playground with 4 X 400 meter track & Well equipped Gym, Indoor Stadium, open
* Exposure to various Co-Curricular and Extracurricular Activities
* Boys’ Hostel and Girls’ Hostel
* NCC Boys’ & Girls’ Units, NSS Units, Cultural and sports Department
* Earn and Learn Scheme
* Student Aid Fund
* Student, Parents Insurance Scheme
* Guidance Centre for Competitive Examination.
* Coaching Centre for SC/ST/OBC & Minorities.
* Yeshwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University Study Centre
* Career Oriented Courses, Certificate Courses
* P.G. Courses
* Recognized Research Centers in 8 subjects
* Internet Facility
* 20 KV Generator
* RO Water Plant
* College Website
* Office Automation
* On-line Admission facility
* Scholarships to economically & Socially Weaker Section
* Prizes & Awards to the students for their achievement in NSS, NCC, Sports &
* Study tours, field work, survey, project works, in plant training
* Botanical Garden
* Cycle Stand & Vehicle parking facility
* Bank of India Branch in the college premises.